Sister Sarah Sides
THE IMPORTANCE OF PRAYER
Sis. Sarah Sides was born on March 4, 1865. She came to Freeport, IL with her mother and sister from Huntington, Tennessee in the late 1800’s.
On September 15, 1911 a group including Sarah and her mother began holding prayer meetings at Sarah’s house. The prayer service and Sunday School continued at the homes of Sis. Sides and Mr. & Mrs. Mark Clark until a mission was formed between 1915 and 1917. The mission was changed to the Oak Hill Baptist church, under the pastorate of Rev. Hollman. Rev. Hollman was succeeded by Rev. J. H. Starks and under his ministry the name was changed to the St. Paul Missionary Baptist Church.
Sis. Sarah Sides departed this earth on May 4, 1961. We shall be eternally grateful for the spirit and faith of Sis. Sides, for out of the concept of prayer service, St. Paul Missionary Baptist Church was born.
A Piece of Our History
Derived from what was originally a prayer band in the home of Mrs. Sarah Sides,
St. Paul Missionary Baptist Church was organized on September 15, 1911.
Through the grace and sustaining power of God, St. Paul M.B.C. has been blessed to serve the city
of Freeport, IL for 109 years!
REV. DEMOND NEWBURN
2012 - 2015
REV. OVESTER ARMSTRONG
2011 - 2012
REV. PETER F. WILLIAMS
1993 - 2010
REV. ROBERT HUFF
1962 - 1993